Sunday, November 18, 2012

Media and Ideology

Reflection
Talking point # 11 by Croteau

This reading I felt was different from others we have read for this class. It was more of a textual reading like more informational then easier reads we have done before. But as much as I didn't enjoy it compared to past readings I think it was good.

Although it wasn't as entertaining as readings like "Cinderella ate my daughter" it still had some examples that were relevant and some people could relate to. It brought up music from like heavy metal to even rap. The Marshall Mathers albumn that was mentioned I could relate to because I have heard it plenty of times. I think although music doesn't show pictures like television unless you know someone sees the video it still has a huge impact on society. I myself catch me singing things sometimes and after like fifth time singing it I finally realize what I am saying.

As useful as media can be it can also be bad in a sense. One has to know how to keep an eye out and how to really read certain message put out in the world. Ideology can be heavily impacted on today's media.

1 comment:

  1. Not just rap music, but any mainstream music really has an affect on our society. Take the song We Are Young by F.U.N. At first, I liked it. It's catchy! But, if you actually listen, or read just the first verse of lyrics its message is pretty terrible. My girlfriend was the one to notice:

    Give me a second I,
    I need to get my story straight
    My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire State
    My lover she's waiting for me just across the bar
    My seat's been taken by some sunglasses asking about a scar, and
    I know I gave it to you months ago
    I know you're trying to forget
    But between the drinks and subtle things
    The holes in my apologies, you know
    I'm trying hard to take it back

    So if by the time the bar closes
    And you feel like falling down, I'll carry you home

    Whether emotional or physical, the singer has given their "lover" a scar. Instead of trying to make it up to their lover, they're out getting wasted with them instead. What does that say about abusive relationships, and overcoming trouble within relationships in general? It's okay if you beat your girlfriend, as long as you carry her drunk ass home from the bar at the end of the night? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete