Thursday, December 6, 2012

Event #1


1) Describe the event:
For my first social justice event I went to the Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Research Foundation’s “Flames of Hope” water fire. I thought it was so awesome and a great experience. I mean I have been to water fires before and some may ask what the difference between this one was. I just think the atmosphere was different and everyone was there for the cause that made it different.
The cause for the water fire is obviously to help raise money and along with awareness. Before this course I probably wouldn’t be able to make the connection as to why something like breast cancer can be revolved around feminism.  With the small knowledge I knew before I would probably just say that it’s because it has to do with females. Now I have been able to grasp the idea that it is a feminist issue because feminism isn’t just about dealing with things and problems dealing with women. It is more than just the linkage between women and feminism. In this case even men can get breast cancer.
To me breast cancer is a feminist issue because when we talk about the medical attention these people all need and things in that nature they all just want to be looked as like equals. I am glad I wrote up this blog post after the Medical Marijuana group yesterday because that ties into my post. They are cases and issues in the world that are reflected on people who suffer, suffered, or know someone who has been affected by breast cancer.
2) Connections to readings:
One reading this made me think of right away was “What Are Little Boys Made of?” by Michael Kimmel. It made me think of this reading for a couple of reasons. For one it is because even though men can get breast cancer it is always more known for women. So like Kimmel wrote that boys are put on the back burner it just made me make that connection. Because a man can say oh well women have the whole month of October in their name where is our recognition?
What it also made me think of though was that even during the month of October known as the “breast cancer awareness month” professional athletes wear and support the cause by wearing pink things such as shoe laces, cleats, headbands, gloves and so on. That just shows that it is spreading awareness out to everyone.
3) Pictures and links
    

No comments:

Post a Comment