Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Compulsory heterosexuality and Lesbian Existence


Rich's Article was very deep and had a lot of material in it. At first it had my head spinning. I won't lie I had to read some of my classmates blogs. From what I got from the term compulsory heterosexuality is just a concept but in my eyes in some can argue that it's really not in somewhat of existences. People think that someone should just love one gender or be on sexuality but I think it goes beyond that. It's this crazy ideology like we pointed out in class.

The next term that actually made me chuckle was lesbian existence. The thought of even if you were a woman and liked another one's intellectual thoughts it made you a lesbian. Lesbianism is everywhere and I think that's where she was getting at. I picked out this quote from her "Lesbian existence comprises both the breaking of a taboo and the rejection of a compulsory way of life." I liked this quote a lot as well as many others. The use of the taboo is great because it's like someone doesn't want to break through on wanting to be non heterosexual. It puts a force on everyone to be and like certain people. 

Question/Comments/Points to share

Even after reading the article which I read over multiple times I was still a bit confused. I felt like I was off even though I felt I was right about it. My only question which is one that could only be answered by Rich herself was "Why did the article have to be so filled?" I felt like it could have been a lot easier to  read to get to the points she wanted to make.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your last paragraph. I feel it would have been easier to read and grasp the point if it were more focused on getting right to the point rather than filling your head with big words and long paragraphs haha. The dictionary was definitely my friend when reading this article.But I do think you understood the underlying message which is all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i definitly agree with you that it is hard to understand her points because of the way she wrote her article. it would have been helpful for her to dumb it down a little.

    ReplyDelete